Monday, November 15, 2010

Turning It In

So, I turned in my dissertation to my committee at the beginning of the month and successfully completed the hoop-jumping exercise known as first deposit. I wish I could say I have been out walking on air these last couple of weeks, but I won't really feel relieved until after the defense on Friday. Or, really, until I make revisions, turn in the final deposit (deadline December 8), and it is accepted.

Having turned it in has made this difference in my life already, however: for the first time in two years, it is no longer my default plan to go to the library and work on the dissertation in the evenings and on weekends. I can make plans to go to a friend's house for Sunday brunch or attend an after-work yoga class or drive to Madison for the weekend without feeling guilty that I'm not doing what I'm "supposed" to be doing.

I really don't know how to prepare for the defense. I'm going to take the day before off work and read through it again. My advisor said to send her any questions I want her to ask, and she'll try to ask them. That way there will be some questions for which I have answers prepared in advance.

4 comments:

post-doc said...

You're so close! Congratulations and happy for yous are a little early but it's always good to start celebrating. :)

flossie said...

Thanks Katie! I'll take congratulations at any stage!

Leslie M-B said...

Woohoo! Congrats for turning it in--and especially for turning it in before baby is born.

Breena said...

I don't think it is early to start celebrating. At least it is off your desk for a while! Good luck with the defense. I'm sure it will all turn out fine.